Monday, March 11, 2013

Baked Tofu Cheesecake with Caramel Sticky Date Biscuit Base

Following on from my last post - these delicious Caramel Sticky Date Cookies . I actually had set about to make a Tofu Cheesecake. Our local Japanese Restaurant, Gyo have put a few new items on their dessert menu lately - and one of which is a Tofu Cheesecake. Now, I am not a cheesecake fan. In fact, I would probably say I go out of my way to avoid eating cheesecake. That sickly sweet mixture of cheese and sugar, doubled with the texture of marshmallow and peanut butter mixed together... Needless to say, cheesecake does nothing for me. The baked tofu cheesecake at Gyo, however, does make my mouth water in anticipation. (As does the okonomiyaki, the various assortment of sushi, the amazing miso soup, and the tempura green tea icecream - which is like a doughnut filled with icecream with a jammy compote to accompany it).

Sorry, I got a little carried away thinking about all that delicious Japanese food. The Tofu Cheesecake recipe I got from Shizuoka Gourmet and tweaked slightly to suit my tastes/needs. It turned out pretty delicious, if I do say so myself!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I am!
Frankie xox

Baked Tofu Cheesecake with Caramel Sticky Date Biscuit Base Baked Tofu Cheesecake with Caramel Sticky Date Biscuit Base (Photo by Frances Wright)

Ingredients
5 Caramel Sticky Date Cookies
250g (1 tub) Philadelphia Cream Cheese (the full fat one - though I always find it difficult to tell which is which)
250g tofu (medium firmness)
70g sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 tablespoon corn flour


Preheat oven to 180C.

Biscuit Base (Photo by Frances Wright)
Crush 5 Caramel Sticky Date Cookies into the bottom of a cake pan lined with baking paper.

Cream Cheese and Sugar (Photo by Frances Wright)
Mix together the cream cheese and the sugar until smooth.

Add eggs and tofu (Photo by Frances Wright)
Add in the eggs and the tofu and mix until all there are no lumps.

Add vanilla paste, flour and corn flour (Photo by Frances Wright)
Add in the vanilla paste, corn flour and flour and mix again until there are no lumps.

Cheesecake Mix (Photo by Frances Wright)
It will sort of go thick like creme anglaise. (hmm.. I wonder if it would make a good icecream!)

Pour over biscuit base (Photo by Frances Wright)
Pour over the biscuit base and smooth down with a spatula. Bake for 50 minutes at 180C - the middle will rise up like a cake. If it is not browned on the top, turn the heat up to 200C and bake for another 10 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from the cake tin (the domed top will deflate when you take it out of the oven). Refrigerate overnight if you can wait that long.

Finished Tofu Cheesecake (Photo by Frances Wright)
Spoon on a little jam of your choice (fig and cinnamon was nice, and so is cherry - as pictured).
Enjoy.

Chelsea Bun (Photo by Frances Wright)
Little miss was helping me out in the kitchen today! She is a big Caramel Sticky Date Cookie and Baked Tofu Cheesecake fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment